BILD 2 Wasserman/Potter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

sand dollar embryo

3 posters

Go down

sand dollar embryo Empty sand dollar embryo

Post  TA Stephen Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:57 pm

I am having trouble answering a question a student e-mailed me. Perhaps another student or TA can help me with this question, which can be found on the study guide for Ella Tour's lecture.

Discuss the similarities and the differences between the early development of a sand dollar embryo and a human embryo.

I don't recall hearing about sand dollars in Ella Tour's lecture, although I believe there were some remarks about sea urchins. Also, ch. 47 of the textbook makes consistent comparisons between sea urchin embryo development and mammalian embryo development. Sand dollars and sea urchins are very close relatives and are both in the Echinoid class of marine animals, and it would seem like they have very similar developmental patterns, however, I am not sure.

Can anyone else clarify?

TA Stephen

Back to top Go down

sand dollar embryo Empty Re: sand dollar embryo

Post  TA Sean Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:14 am

I missed this lecture, I was out with the flu, but I'd say what you've got in thought sounds reasonable. Its always possible it was a typo and she meant to say sea urchin.

TA Sean

Back to top Go down

Post  jjna Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:42 am

I asked a TA about this question from review session
he said that we only need to know that during the early stage of development,
we wouldn't really know or see the difference between the two
because it has just determined what kind of differences it will make. (fate is determined)
but later on as differentiation takes place in the development process,
the embryos will show specificity in their cells and will show differences.

jjna

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum